2

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Acceptance -A Message to Iain Duncan Smith!

I used to worry that I was boring, and that I don't have the type of life others do.


I haven't travelled much, or had children.

I won't pretend not having kids doesn't totally break my heart, but maybe I was never going to do 'normal'.

I've certainly never felt like I fit in anywhere.

I tend to see things differently to a lot of people, and notice things they don't seem to.

Maybe that's just what I have to do. 

I don't worry quite so much any more.

Some people think 'she doesn't do anything' - but they're comparing my life with theirs. 

They are usually able-bodied, have energy, and they tend to take those things for granted.  

For obvious  reasons, (my Cerebral Palsy), as well as some not so obvious reasons, (depression, anxiety, lack of confidence), my life doesn't work that way. 

It never will.



I like helping people, and I'm passionate about making a difference. I have been ever since I was a little girl. 

It's taken me a long time to get here, but I realise that's what I do. My role IS to help raise awareness of disability. It is essentially what I've been trying to do, all my life.

Before, I used to think that I had to be this, or that -living up to the expectations of society, my family, and myself, but I never thought I would have to do the same with government.

Government has demonised disabled people. 

They tell us that if we don't 'contribute' to society by having a job, being a superhuman athlete, or someone else's idea of an 'inspiration', then we are worthless 'scroungers', that are not worthy of support, or a place among worthy, 'hard-working people'.

Iain Duncan Smith said at the Tory Party Conference, that he wanted disabled people to 'work their way out of poverty'.

For many of us, that is simply not possible, no matter how much we want it! 

We have exhaustion, pain, and so many other limitations to cope with. His words (as well as the Welfare 'Reform' policies), have consistently belittled, alienated, and trivialised, what disabled and ill people face.

They have seemingly been designed to cause us as much pain and hardship as they possibly can, and they are. Not only are we losing independence, and vital support, but we are dying in our thousands!

Following his heartless words, I cried -again. It's not the first time, (and it won't be the last) that the brutal, compassionless policies of this government have reduced me to tears, or made me so angry that I don't know what to do with myself. 

The points I want to make to Mr Duncan Smith, this government, and to the people in society that believe the lies and 'scrounger' rhetoric, are as follows: 

Disability IS hard work! It is an endless struggle every day from which you never get a break, and it IS a JOB! A job which no one would chose!

Many disabled people do work or have worked and paid into the system. Those that haven't, (through no fault of their own), still PAY to live in society! We are human beings - even though this government is failing to treat us as such.

Even if we can't work, we contribute to society in other ways! It's not all about money. People learn from us, - we have other roles to play. 
   
To put it bluntly, maybe it's not me that has to accept my life, and what I am. Maybe it's Mr Duncan Smith, this government, and society. 



6 comments:

  1. Very well expressed. Everyone is a worthwhile human being (though it is hard to see what Cameron, IDS and crew have to offer). They look at the world from the wrong direction, you look at the world from a good one.
    As we used to say when I was young, don't let the bastards (hope you don't mind swearing) grind you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (though it is hard to see what Cameron, IDS and crew have to offer)... They have very Little to offer humanity as far as I can see. Their lives revolve around their abject desire to have financial wealth, most of us just want to live our lives in peace and have the ability to survive, IDS (Iain Dunked in Shit) Needs to stand trial at the Hague for crimes against Humanity, when he went to Auschwitz, he seemed to think it was a fact finding mission for his Own "Final solution" .! Keep on Keeping on Helen, there are humans out here somewhere love..x

      Delete
  2. Perfectly written , there is a time and place for everyone and we are all inextricably bound up in each other some see this some don't you have insight tories don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with every word you say but, please, stop apologising for being you.
    You write the things that others cant put into words.
    It is more than enough

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Cameron and his cronies offer the world is a perfect example of how to be if you want a miserable, constricted, self-serving existence. We can be grateful for who we are simply because we're not like that.
    As for you, Helen - the world would be missing its Helen Sims shaped piece of the jigsaw without you, and would be all the poorer for it. Keep being unashamedly you in all of your uniqueness xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been mentally ill for years.I found out today I have chronic borderline personality disorder and it is going to be very hard to treat.I'm lucky enough to be on benifits that support me.but I am forever worried about cuts and getting a brown envelope through the door.I also have mild cerebal palsy which affects my co ordination and learning stuff.we the disabled must not be brushed under the carpet and made to suffer.the only people the present goverment is looking after is them selfs and thier rich friends keep up the fight.

    ReplyDelete