2

Thursday 18 December 2014

'Are You Always This Much of a Bitch'? (Facebook Status Update)

'I can always tell who are the people that know me best. Those that don't are the ones that ask me if I'm 'always this tough', or 'this much of a bitch?!' 

Those that know me best will know that I'm not a bitch at all, but I will fight and argue for something I believe in. 

Those that know me best are probably aware that I keep a lot of things bottled up and private. They come out when I write, or when I need to let off steam a little! 

In fact, (without blowing my own trumpet), I have spent my life being there for others, caring, picking up the pieces, and offering advice whenever asked. That's who I am, and what I do.

I can see the bigger picture in terms of what happens in the world, and I'll do my best to make a difference to it - even if it's only a small one. 

I've campaigned on disability rights issues, since I was 8 years old. I don't know what it is in me - it's hard to put a name to it, but it's there, and I can't imagine being any different. I can't imagine being one of those people who lives their lives in a selfish bubble! 

I'm not perfect. I'm mouthy sometimes, and I snap when I'm in pain, frustrated, or tired. I wish it were possible to make the world see what it feels like to be in pain, to be so limited, and to feel so heartbroken sometimes, that I can barely breathe. On those days, Cerebral Palsy SUCKS!

I want a normal life so badly. I want to have a job and be a Mum, but I can't have those things - through no fault of my own.

Usually I'm proud to be me and I love what I do. Most days, I can accept my disability, and I like being different. I treasure the empathy and the insight that I feel it has helped to give me.

Other days, I feel crushed and hopeless...and angry. It tightens in my chest, knots my throat, and makes my stomach flip over and over. Few people have seen me in that state...and I like it that way! If you have that's good. I trust you!

In short, whatever this government tries to tell you, whatever lies it decides to spin, however many doctored figures it decides to throw your way, please remember that every single one of us is a person. 

We have thoughts and feelings and we hate what's happening to us. We did not ask for our lives or our struggles...and right now we need your support, more than ever. 

Thank you for reading.'

#helenwriting

No comments:

Post a Comment