2

Monday 28 July 2014

The Tory, and the Foodbank - A Short Post

Today, I spoke to a Tory voter about the rise in ‪foodbanks‬.

Their reply made my stomach go into an angry knot: 'Well, if people get themselves into that situation...!'

Lack of compassion is scary! People don't deserve that attitude. I'd like to say I was surprised, but I'm not any more.

I talk to many people, in the hope that I will make people understand what is happening here, and maybe change a few minds. Sometimes it works, but that response, is (sadly), becoming more common.

Government lies, and the austerity myth has lead to a shocking lack of empathy, and an 'I'm all right Jack' outlook.

If I could ask people one thing, it would be, PLEASE don't lose your compassion, because when society does that, treating disabled, ill, poor, and vulnerable people so badly, becomes OK, and it is NOT OK!

People are suffering, hurting, starving, and dying! It frightens me that society, (and this government), see that as acceptable. When did it happen? When did we, as people become so selfish, that we became able to turn a blind eye to those in need?

I explained to the woman concerned, that there are a vast amount of people, who are in full time employment, and still need to rely on a foodbank to feed their family. I said that I hope her, and her family never need one. She arrogantly said, 'they won't'.

My final response was, 'well, you're very lucky then, aren't you? Let's hope you always stay that way...!'



#helenswriting

No comments:

Post a Comment